We found ourselves waiting too long for our RepRap heated beds to heat up, struggling to reach printing temperature while maxing out bulky, expensive and lossy power supplies. So we made a better one, the Makertum MK1 mains voltage heated bed.
The Makertum MK1 is a mains voltage heated bed for 3D printers with dual voltage support (230/110 V~), 500 W of heat output, 2 minutes heatup time (110 °C), power indicator LED and onboard thermal fuse.
The Makertum MK1 is currently available to skilled beta testers all over the world.
The beta testing hardware kit
About beta testing
In the beta testing phase, we’ll give out 15 hardware prototype kits to interested beta testers. Beta testers are kindly asked for a contribution of $39 (incl. SSR) or $32 (w/o SSR) plus shipping to obtain a hardware kit. We know that’s something you don’t see when beta testing in the software world, so to smoothen things a little, beta testers will get a 50% discount on a PCB from the final production line of the heated beds.
Who can beta test?
You need to own a compatible 3D printer. Besides that, everybody with sufficient knowledge about mains voltage electrical wiring and mains voltage safety precautions can take part in the beta testing. However, you’ll have to agree to a legal liability disclaimer that leaves you with the full responsibility of all your actions and all the outcomes when testing the prototype.
How to get in
You can now get the kit it in the shop.
There are some nice benefits of a mains voltage PCB heated bed:
- high power output
- cheap (no need for costly PSUs)
- lightweight (no aluminium plate needed like in silicone heater pad solutions)
- handy (reduces weight and size of printer due to smaller PSU)
- versatile (any printing surface my be installed on top of it)
- highly efficient (about 10 % less electricity cost over MK2+PSU with typ. eff. 90%)
This implementation comes with a few more extra features:
- super fast heatup time (about 10 times faster than the common MK2)
- 230 and 110 V~ support
- power indicator LED covered by tough transparent polycarbonate
- no thermal breathing / flex due to double sided layout
- compatible with RepRap MK hole spacing of 209 mm center-to-center
- extra mounting holes for three point leveling
We did everything to make this the safest heated bed available:
- fully insulated screw terminals
- thermal fuse prevents overheating
- current fuse prevents overcurrent
- made from temperature resistant FR4
- thorough stress testing on every manufactured batch
|Power Output||500 W (230 V~) or 460 (110 V~) (beta version may differ)|
|Operating Voltage||230 V~ (110 V~ over center tap)|
|Resistance:||106 Ω (beta version may differ)|
|Trace-Length||400 x 200 mm = 80,000 mm|
|Copper thickness (on PCB)||1oz aka 1.37 mil aka 35 µm|
|Trace width||0.37 mm|
|Dimensions (WxHxT)||214x214x1.6 mm (w/o screw terminals) 214x224x1.6 mm (w. screw terminals)|
|Mounting Holes||209 mm center-to-center (RepRap compatible) + 3-point leveling|
The Makertum MK1 heated bed is released under CC-BY-NC-SA license.